- Domain Name (www.yourbusinessname.com)
Determine a good business name for your e-commerce store and then purchase a domain name for the name of your store. The name should have a keyword that people would use to find your products and or services.
- Web Hosting
Sign up with a quality web hosting provider. It should have at least one SQL database, and can do server side scripting, such as SHTML, PHP, and/or CGI scripting and at least 300Mb or more of space.
- A dependable shopping cart software. We reccommend BigCommerce.
The shopping cart will need to have the following features:
1) Built in Content Management System (So you have full control to add & remove items)
2) Ability to accept more than one payment option
3) Order Tracking
4) SEO Ready (Search engine optimization friendly)
5) Multi-currency support
6) Create Item Discount Codes
7) Integrate with other systems (Quick Books, Payment Gateways & UPS, etc…)
- SSL Integration
A secure socket layer encrypts the data between the customer’s computer and your web server. It keeps prying eyes from sneaking a peek at sensitive data, such as credit card info. This is very important for you and your customers safety.
- Payment Gateway
A payment gateway collects the credit card info and sales info (price, customer info, etc.) and does a basic fraud check, to make sure the credit card isn’t stolen, etc.
It charges the customer’s credit card and deposits the money into your bank account.
- Merchant Account
You will need a merchant account to allows your business to charge sales to credit cards. It is basically a type of agreement between your business and a bank. Both a merchant account and a payment gateway are needed to accept payments online.
- E-Mail Marketing
Keeping your customers updated with new products, specials and information via email will keep your customers coming back to your store.